Sunday, March 13, 2011

Geocaching Adventure!

Yesterday Cade took Brittany, Noah, and me on a geocaching adventure. I'm sure everyone knows what geocaching is, but just in case you don't, it is a high-tech treasure hunt. You go to geocaching.com and put in the area you want to look in and see if there are any sites around there. You put the coordinates into a hand-held gps and follow it. The 'treasure' is usually hidden (ours was covered in rocks) and in an ammo can or other weather proof container. There is a notebook inside where everyone who finds it logs the date and names, our treasure had been there since 2001. There are little treasures inside and the idea is you can take one treasure and replace it with a treasure of your own. Some people choose to leave a 'signature' item in all their treasures. Cade & Brittany left an army guy, Noah left a helicopter, and I left a silly eraser head. The only prize was taken by Noah, he chose a little frog figurine.

Noah was really excited about the whole thing and did his best Indiana Jones impression. When we started out walking, Cade started to play the Indiana Jones theme song on his phone. Due to time, and the fact that people were out shooting guns around one of the sites, we only hit one location. We definitely look forward to doing it again.

Thanks Cade and Brittany for a fun adventure!

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

Sounds like a fun adventure.

Lyndsi Wischmeier said...

Thanks for the awesome idea! I took some friends and their kids geocaching around here after I read your blog. Both places we went had the caches stolen... bummer. It was still really fun. I'll have to go again somewhere else and get me some treasure!